Tuesday, March 8, 2011

"Hubbly Bubbly Hookah"

A trend not only in the Middle East but a growing fad here in America.

Hookah, also known as shisha has for many years been apart of the culture for both Middle Eastern countries and India. Ideally, for the men of countries, you will now see female tourists in countries like Egypt, and Turkey smoking Hookah. What was once frowned upon, is now becoming the new reality, of those countries, and for many teens here in America.

What is Hookah?
Hookah is a water based pipe that uses water and indirect heat for smoking. Shisha, the actually tobacco that is in the water pipe is what gets smoked. Shisha comes in many flavors varying from apple to watermelon, even to a combination flavors with 'Redbull' the energy drink. The cost ranges from $5 to $7, and most places carry Middle Eastern food as well. The smoking sessions can last up to 45 minutes and can be either for one, or many to share.  You can find hookah now-a-days scattered all over American cities. In my town alone, we have three off the top of my head. Legally, I believe you're suppose to be 18+, but many teens go in with friends, and simply share. As you can see many of the hookah lounges/bars do not strictly regulate.

Health risks?
Many teens believe that Hookah is okay for you, but in reality, according to Wendy Koch, from USA TODAY, "Hookah delivers 36 times more tar than a cigarette, 15 times more carbon monoxide and 70% more nicotine." Can you imagine if every five seconds someone dies from smoking cigarettes, what the chances of living is? That means that people who participate in Hookah are more likely to develop lung cancer, and gum disease. We have created a society where our teens have the misconception that it is safe, and "not like smoking," but yet it is. With this pattern we will see more health risks for our teens as they become addicted to nicotine.

So be honest, have you heard of Hookah before? Are there places near you that carry it despite the ban of smoking in public places? Do they have the wavier that allows them to do that, or do they simply do it?

Have your kids tried it? I wouldn't be surprised.
Have you tried it? I won't judge you if you have.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting topic! Before last summer, I knew very little (well actually nothing) about Hookah until my daughter asked me if she could smoke it at her friend's house. I immediately went to Google to read about it and found the same facts you mentioned. I told her it was OK to TRY and she did, she thought it was cool, her and her friends smoked it a few times and that was that - it lost it's luster.
    I hate smoking of any kind including Hookah. But, another interesting custom for us to experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard of hookah, but had no idea it was a current trend here among American teenagers, and I have never tried it. I had no idea it was even sold in stores. My triplets (yes, triplets, 2 girls and one boy) are only four years old so we have not yet reached the experimentation stage that teenagers go through. However, one of my biggest fears when my children grow older is drug use. Like Direct 711, I would of allowed my daughter to try it, and would of expected the same result that it lost its luster. I hope my girls and boy are open with me like that. I do not only want to be their mom, but their best friend. I want them to be able to tell me everything without being scared.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Direct711-Interesting stand point from a Mother. I like the fact that she was able to come to you and ask you and you didn't jump to the gun and say no, but researched it. How you formed your answer once you knew the facts is your prerogative, and I give you credit. I personally don't like the idea, but what each person does is up to them, doesn't mean I like them less. What I find unique is that in different cultures what they feel is acceptable at a different age is completely viewed differently else where. Lynda-They sure do! People do it all the time...after school, before dinner whenever, and it's at their reach. Drug use is a big deal, and honestly, something you should fear. More than half of my student body has experimented with drugs, or smokes marijuana on a regular basics. Having a close relationship with your kids is going to be necessary, but at the same time you have to be willing enough to listening to them without punishing them.

    ReplyDelete