Monday, March 7, 2011

رجل --Man in Arabic

*Translation from Google Translate.
It is almost ironic that while I was trying to search for information on the men of the Middle East I had a very difficult time. While conducting my search with "Middle Eastern men" or "Roles of a Middle Eastern man" more than half of my results were about women. To me that is sort of funny, considering "The Middle East is a place where the women are belittled, and of lower priority. The men control the area, and rule the land." Do you agree? I am going to do some more follow up research and expand my background with the men of this region, because I like most of my search results, know more about the women. I will be going back on both topics, (men and women) but want to know you opinion.

What do you  think of when you see this photograph? What thoughts come to mind when you think of men in the Middle East? Honestly, do you think of men in turbans, white pants, scruffy beards, smoking hookah all day, while bossing their wife or wives around? I feel like the feedback I get will be a less sympathetic than it would be if this were a women and I value that impression.

I am pleased with your responses so far. Have fun with it too, not everything you post has to be so formal, and negative commutation is okay and allowed. I want to paint a picture that is not all rainbows, but realistic. My overall goal is not to portray the region as a non-violent place, but also not to form the conception that it is a place with just peace.

Do you find him handsome?
I hope this post pointed out that, no not all men there are what many people consider "dirty looking" because by all means, they're not.

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I look at this picture, I see a human being deep in thought and I do find him handsome. Unfortunately, Middle Eastern men are negatively stereotyped by the media and the society in which we live in. If my memory serves me correctly from a sociology class I took, it is a known fact that domestic abuse is extremely high in middle and upper class white families than Middle Eastern families, and Middle Eastern men are very respectful to their wives. I have not had the opportunity to visit the Middle East yet. However, the Middle Eastern men I encounter here in America are always very respectful and polite to me. In fact, there is a Middle Eastern man that I run into occasionally in a store that I go in who always tells me how pretty I am. Lynda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark/Lynda-If you don't mind me asking why are you posting from another account? lol...So Lynda, I totally agree. I have found that Middle Eastern men are hardworking and very kind that is here in America. I cannot speak for the women in the Middle East, especially those from Saudi Arabia. The abuse rates everywhere are high, even more so now, as the economy suffers. It is sad to see a false assumption towards so many people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see a handsome man with beautiful eyes. He looks like he could be a sucessful businessman, good husband, loving father and devout Muslim. But, there is a part of me, the part that is driven by fear, that wonders if he could be funding terroist activity or supporting camps that train young people to hate and kill Westerners. I don't like feeling that way but the fear and helplessness I felt on 9/11 is still very real to me. I realize that it was the zealots that committed those acts that day but, how do we know which is which? Did anyone suspect that the men getting on those planes that day were anyone other than travelers?
    The terror of that day is still so vivid to me (and so many Americans). I pray that we can work together to build a world where we can all just get along!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey. When I posted yesterday, I was at work and under my boss's google account. Caught, playing on the job. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Direct711: I completely agree with the way you feel about 9/11. I, myself, will never forget that day as long as I live. However, a few days after the attacks, I was in a 7-11, where it is run by Middle Eastern men and this man came in screaming racial slurs at them and threatening to blow up the store. I hightailed out of there, but thought it was completely unfair to say that to these men because they were Middle Eastern. Do you find yourself looking at White men that way when considering the Oklahoma bombings, Columbine shootings, and the recent shootings in Arizona?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lynda, let me clarify my post. I don't feel we should accuse or assume that every Arab man is a terroist just as we don't assume that every white man is a serial killer or that every black man is theif, etc. What I'm saying is that in response to the photo of the man that was posted....there is no way to tell what this man might stand for. There are two sides to the Arab world and one side is a huge threat to my country and my children's future. Each of us needs to be aware of that in our own way. It's sad but it's real. I'm not a prejiduce person, but rather someone who always trys to be aware of my surroundings regardless of who I'm dealing with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Direct711-I agree with you. I think just with anyone you have no idea what they're really like just by looking at them. By making prejudgements any one could easily be mistaken for the wrong type of person. Where one could look like a killer, they could actually be a sweet soul. You have no idea, and that's what creates fear. It is important though, not to judge anyone, but not to necessarily trust them either. Your family and yourself ultimately are the most important thing, and the safety! The way I see it is, be kind to everyone because you never know when it could be used to your advantage in any situation, may it be dangerous or not. Lynda-Ha! That's funny! I like the commenting between my readers because it helps create opposition and a new direction for me. I get your stand point as well, but I do agree that yes sometimes, when I see an African American in a dangerous neighborhood, or even when I may encounter a homeless person I grab ahold of my purse a little tighter or maybe lock my doors of my car. I don't do it out of hate, or because I despise that person, but simply because I am looking out for my own protection. Do you ever do that, or grab your children's hand tighter when in a crowed location?

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG, you are right! I do see myself doing that and it is true what you said, to never burn bridges, because you never know when you are going to run into that person again.

    ReplyDelete