Tuesday, March 29, 2011

McFalafel


Yep, that's right! In Egypt's Mcdonald's they carry a popular food item named the McFalafel.

What a Falafel consists of is dried chickpeas, onion, garlic, parsley, coriander, cumin, flour, and salt. The process seems easy to do, you blend  them together in specific steps, but almost form a meatball. Once the meatball is formed you place in the oven until golden brown. A friend of mine actually dips hers in 'Ketchup." You can eat it just like she did, maybe without the 'Ketchup' if you prefer, or even in a pita sandwhich. I have never personally made them, but I have tried them. I will attach a reciepe I have found to make these at the bottom of this page...I think I might try it out too!

I absoultey love love love Middle Eastern food, especially hummus!
The flavor in the food is to die for! I have decided to break up a few foods that I personally enjoy so that you can go try them, so my next blog will also be on food. I am going to try and get some actually "personal" reciepes from some Middle Eastern families I know!

استمتع -enjoy

The following is from: mideastfood.about.com

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour, 60 minutes

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup dried chickpeas or 16 oz. can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans.
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • 3 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon coriander
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Oil for frying

Preparation:

Place dried chickpeas in a bowl, covering with cold water. Allow to soak overnight. Omit this step if using canned beans.

Drain chickpeas, and place in pan with fresh water, and bring to a boil.

Allow to boil for 5 minutes, then let simmer on low for about an hour.

Drain and allow to cool for 15 minutes.

Combine chickpeas, garlic, onion, coriander, cumin, salt and pepper (to taste) in medium bowl. Add flour.

Mash chickpeas, ensuring to mix ingredients together. You can also combine ingredients in a food processor. You want the result to be a thick paste.

Form the mixture into small balls, about the size of a ping pong ball. Slightly flatten.

Fry in 2 inches of oil at 350 degrees until golden brown (5-7 minutes).

Serve hot.



5 comments:

  1. Mmmm, mmmm. I am going to have to try this recipe. There is a restaurant (actually Greek) by my house that makes a Falafel pita sandwich that is to die for. Here is my hummus recipe that I have made several times:

    Ingredients
    1 pound Slow Cooker Chickpeas, cooled, recipe follows
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
    5 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
    1/4 cup water
    1/3 cup tahini, stirred well
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for serving
    Powdered sumac, optional (I always use it)

    Directions

    Place the chickpeas, garlic, and kosher salt in the bowl of a food processor. Process for 15 to 20 seconds. Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and process for another 15 to 20 seconds. Add the lemon juice and water. Process for 20 seconds. Add the tahini. Process for 20 seconds, then scrape down the sides of the bowl. With the processor running, drizzle in the olive oil.

    To serve, transfer the hummus to a bowl and drizzle with additional olive oil and sprinkle with sumac, to taste, if desired.

    Slow Cooker Chickpeas:
    7 cups water
    1 pound dry chickpeas, sorted and rinsed
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda

    Special equipment: a 2 1/2-quart slow cooker
    Place the water, chickpeas, and baking soda in a 2 1/2-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on high heat for 4 hours, or on low heat for 8 to 9 hours, or until tender. Drain and serve immediately, or use in desired dish.

    I am sure you know this, but just in case, a slow-cooker is a crockpot. If you try my recipe, let me know how you liked it.

    Manga! Lynda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey. I have not seen any new posts, and I hope all is okay. Anyway, if you plan not to post anymore, I would love to see your final project and share with me the grade you received.

    Please keep in touch. I am on Facebook under Lynda Chieffo-Cacace.

    I wish you all the best. Remember to live life and follow your dreams no matter what they are. But, I have a feeling you already know that.

    Lynda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lynda! So sorry, I am not actually done with the assignment! I went on vacation, I now realize I totally forgot to post that I would be out of the country! I will be up and blogging very shortly,thank you for your support as always:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you had a great vacation. Happy Easter to you and your family. Please look me up on Facebook I would love to meet you and would love for you to see pictures of my triplets and (me. lol). Lynda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope all is well. I read Three Cups of Tea and would love to chat with you about it & would love to know what you received on your assignment. I am sure an A! I am on Facebook as Lynda Chieffo-Cacace (Lynda Cacace). Hope all is well.
    Lynda :-)

    ReplyDelete