Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Map of Middle East

Many people actually don't know which countries are considered to be apart of the Middle East. Majority of the population believe that any country that has a -stan name like Kazakhstan or Pakistan are included in the Middle East. Having the -stan does not make you a Middle Eastern country. Stan just means "land" in many eastern languages.

Below is a link and a map puzzle that I would like you to complete. It is very easy considering it is a puzzle. I picked this one out of all the ones available because some people simply don't know the region of the Middle East. Many of the people who read my blog are highly educated, so I don't see you having an issue nor do I see it too difficult. If for what-ever- reason it is difficult or you have never heard or a country, study it..play it again if you have to. This is more of a learning opportunity than some game.

Please keep in note depending on who is studying the Middle East and what aspect they are trying to accomplish can also effect the countries listed. For instances, Iran is not considered part of the Middle East but is typically included. Turkey, too can be considered part of Asia, or the Middle East. The same goes for Egypt, as is it located in the upper part of Africa.

By the way, Iran is not pronounced I RAN, it is pronounced E RAUN. Some teachers of mine who have studied the Middle East still don't say it correctly, but a very knowledgeable teacher of mine who knows the area very well has taught me the correct way. Just by knowing that you are smarter than half our nation.

Have fun with the link. In the comment box, please tell me your reactions, if any. List your time and any other thoughts you may have. To me I find it interesting that such a small region can stimulate such attention, or that it hasn't been taken over yet by outside forces.


Once you get on the website, click play.

3 comments:

  1. Time: Five minutes and 44 seconds (I was eating sushi) :-). I had no notion as to where Oman was located and my curiosity got the best of me. Now I do courtesy of http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/asia/om.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynda-Nice! The photo above shows Oman---you didn't have to research it! I had hoped that the picture would have been a reference. I am glad that you went beyond and looked it up. It makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One minute, 55 seconds to complete. When you look at the size of the countries it is so interesting to see how tiny some land areas are compared to Saudia Arabia!! This is such a beautiful area of the world and so rich with history. And, such great food!!!

    ReplyDelete